Friday, May 21, 2010

Devin's Dream



I never told him what I dreamed
that night under Kenyan stars.
I dreamed
I walked
these tunnels again
not a kid anymore,
but grown,
and everyone was
calling me Devin.

That's it.
That's all.
That's the whole dream.
Doesn't sound like much,
does it?
 
I dreamed it countless times.
Dreamed of reading in a chamber
or sitting by the Falls
and being called Dev.

After all those hundreds of places -
Amazing, exciting, exotic places -
After all those dozens of lives -
Empty, unloved, lonely lives -
I dreamed about
being
in the only place
I still longed to go
and being
the only person
I'd never yet been.

They say you only live once.
Unless you're me...
Then you get a dozen lives.
It took twenty years to get it right
to get back
where I belonged,
should have been,
started out.

Things change, I guess,
I said
People change, too
 and I'm trying.
I'm good at changing names
changing places
changing lives
Not so good at changing me

But I'm learning.
I'm trying
to be
less Black Sheep
more Golden Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Comment and Enjoy WFOL!